Tuesday, March 30, 2010

First post - My Online Communities

After bombarding all my favorite blogs with comments longer than the posts I'm responding to, I've decided it's time to open shop.

I hope this blog will speak to the two distinct but overlapping online communities which I enjoy being a part of: the simple living/frugality/minimalism sphere and the homemaking/design/style realm. In some ways, the priorities of these two communities are at odds. The asceticism and antimaterialism of one seems to contradict the focus on comfort, beauty, and novelty of the other.

But I believe it's possible to bridge the two, because it's how I live my life, or at least aim to. In my daily wandering of the blogosphere, I've encountered others who live simply but with style or who have made their lives beautiful cheaply and sustainably. I embrace them, and formally join them with my new blog Make Do, Live Well.

1 comment:

  1. How funny--that's why I started blogging as well. I was getting too long-winded on my favorite blogs and I started to feel all self-conscious about it. I love your blog's title by the way. I think that's why I enjoy life in France so much. It's kind of the same ethos around here.

    ReplyDelete